- Bengal submits to complete lockdown from 16 May 6 am to 30 May 6 pm
- Guidelines issued for the lockdown
- Essential service allowed to operate in a timely fashion
Kolkata: The Mamata Banerjee-led government declared a complete lockdown across the state from 16 May until 30 May as a means to curb the spread of the virus. Apparently, the virus is speculated to surge soon after the elections were held.
We are taking some strict measures to contain the pandemic, starting Sunday 6 am till 6 pm of 30 May,” Chief Secretary Alapan Bandyopadhyay quoted.
This development came after the state logged the highest single-day spike in the pandemic era. 20,846 new infections took the tally to 10,94,802. The state health department reported 136 deaths in the past 24 hours.
Key-points of the new guideline:
- All offices and educational institutions shall remain closed.
- All transport services will also be suspended during the lockdown.
- Night curfew will remain in place between 9 pm to 5 am.
- Industries and factories will remain shut.
- All gatherings (social, religious, or political) are banned.
- Government and private offices will remain closed. However, government offices handling emergency and essential services will remain operational.
- Gyms, spas, shopping malls, and cinema halls remain shut.
The government however decides to provide relaxation to media operations and emergency services. All essential services like medical stores, optical showrooms, and ATMs will be allowed to operate. Grocery stores and established markets are allowed to function from 7 am to 10 am only. Similarly, the petrol pumps can refuel vehicles only between 10 am to 2 pm. Interstate transport is allowed to ferry emergency passengers. Weddings should be held with only 50 people in attendance with physical distancing.