Corona Horror: New Zealand Denies Entry to India Travellers Amid the Spike; Reports Fresh Infections After 40 Days
- Indian travellers temporarily denied entry in the country after 17 fresh cases determined to be Indian origin
- Almost 23 new cases were detected
- Island reported no cases in the past 40 days prior to the arrival of travellers from India
Corona-effect: New Zealand on Thursday temporarily dismissed entry for all travellers from India following a surge in its national count. The surge is reported to have escalated from the past two weeks after the arrival of travellers from the South Asian country.
Nearly 23 cases were reported in the country out of which 17 cases emerged from India. The infected individuals were isolated immediately following which the ban was announced. “We are temporarily suspending entry into New Zealand for travellers from India,” Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said in a news conference in Auckland.
The ban would commence on Sunday April 11 at 1600 local time and extend till April 28. The island has reported around 2,531 cases so far.
While India is battling against the second wave, New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern said the Government would be looking at risks posed by other COVID-19 hotspot countries. “I want to emphasize that while the arrival of COVID from India has prompted this measure, we are looking at how we manage high risk points of departure generally. This is not a country specific risk assessment…,” Ardern said. According to her, this temporary ban will reduce the risk that travellers possess.
New Zealand virtually eliminated the virus within its borders and had not reported any local transmission amongst its community for about 40 days. But it’s been reviewing its border settings as more people with infections arrive in New Zealand recently, majority being from India.