- Dr Shakrajit Nayak served as Irrigation Minister to the State
- Died of post COVID complications
- Departed BJP in 2002 and joined Congress
Raipur: Former Chhattisgarh minister and senior Congress leader Dr Shakrajit Nayak died at a private hospital on Saturday due to post-COVID complications, informed his family members.
The 78 old former irrigation minister was admitted to Raipur-based Balaji Hospital after testing positive for COVID-19.
He later tested negative after being treated at the same hospital. But his condition deteriorated on Saturday morning and he died of a cardiac arrest, his son and Raigarh MLA Prakash Nayak said.
Nayak’s last rites will be performed at his native village Nawapali in the Raigarh district. He is survived by his wife, two sons, and three daughters.
He was twice elected as a BJP MLA in 1990 and 1998. He was among the twelve BJP MLAs, who had switched to Congress during the erstwhile Ajit Jogi government in 2002. Later he was elected as a Congress legislator from Saria constituency in 2003 and from Raigarh constituency in 2008.
Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel took to Twitter expressing deep sorrow over the death of former irrigation minister and senior Congress leader Dr Shakrajit Nayak.
- Join our WhatsApp group to read more news
- To read Madhya Pradesh Exclusive news, Click here
- Click here to read Uttar Pradesh Exclusive news