Govt Blocks Social Media Accounts For Promoting Hateful Content
- MeitY has taken action against several social handles for circulating morphed videos of a cabinet briefing.
- The owners of these accounts are being identified and will be prosecuted under law.
- 73 Twitter handles have been suspended.
New Delhi: The government has acted against many accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Telegram for promoting morphed videos of a cabinet meeting. The Ministry of Information and Technology (MeitY) said several videos had been making rounds on social media, comprising the most recent morphed videos which allegedly showed a cabinet briefing with superimposed audio.
As many as 73 Twitter handles, 4 YouTube videos and 1 game on Instagram that were allegedly circulating misinformation or hateful content have been suspended or removed, MoS for Electronics and Information Technology Rajeev Chandrasekhar tweeted. The users who own these accounts are being identified and will be prosecuted under law, he stated, adding that these social media platforms will be assessed on their due diligence. The ministry has also taken action against Facebook accounts and Telegram channels found indulging in disparaging content against women. It has reached out to Twitter, Facebook, and Telegram, asking them to make sure that action is taken against such accounts immediately.
The Delhi police on Friday registered an FIR in connection with a fake video shared on social media. They said the Twitter handles which propagated the video have been identified. DCP (Special Cell) K.P.S. Malhotra said that during the monitoring of social media. The police said the video was of the meeting of the Cabinet Committee which took place on December 9th, 2021, after CDS General Bipin Rawat’s demise and was readily available on various news portals and social media platforms. According to police, Twitter accounts which started the propagation of the video are found to be @simrankaur0507 and @eshalkaur1 and appropriate legal action will be taken, they said.