Indo-Sino standoff: Violent tussle between Indian and Chinese troops; three Army personnel dead
- Commanding Officer Among 3 Killed during the India china violent face off in Ladakh
- A high-level meeting held between Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, the three service chiefs, CDS Bipin Rawat and External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar
INDIA: On Monday night, a “violent face-off” took place between Indian and Chinese troops which led to the death of an Indian Army officer and two soldiers in Galwan Valley, Ladakh, escalating the already heated standoff between the two armies since April.
“During the de-escalation process underway in the Galwan Valley, a violent face-off took place yesterday night with casualties. The loss of lives on the Indian side includes an officer and two soldiers. Senior military officials of the two sides are currently meeting at the venue to defuse the situation,” the army said in a statement.
Army sources had said that Major Generals of India and China are talking to defuse the situation in the Galwan Valley, Ladakh and other areas after the violent face-off last night in which casualties have been suffered by both sides.
On 6th June, Senior military officers had met to defuse tensions between the two countries that were first sparked last month.
Subsequently, According to China Global Times, Chinese Foreign Minister said “Indian troops on Monday seriously violated consensus of the two sides by illegally crossing the border twice & carrying out provocative attacks on Chinese soldiers, resulting in serious physical clashes.”
“China has lodged solemn representations with the Indian side and urged it to strictly restrain its front-line troops from crossing the border or taking any unilateral action that may complicate the border situation. China and Indian side agreed to resolve the bilateral issues through dialogue to ease the border situation and maintain peace and tranquility in border areas”, he further said to China Global times.
Reportedly, this is the first time in decades that a clash involving casualties has taken place on the 3,488 kilometre border between India and China.
Meanwhile, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh held a meeting with Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat, the three service chiefs and External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar. Recent developments in Eastern Ladakh were discussed. Further details awaited.