- WHO hints control of Monkeypox through timely implementation of strategies.
- WHO on Saturday declared Monkeypox Global Health Emergency.
- According to a study 528 confirmed cases revealed 95 per cent affected were bisexual.
Geneva: Amidst the surge in Monkeypox cases globally, the WHO has on Tuesday said that the rapidly spreading monkeypox outbreak can be stopped. Rosamund Lewis, WHO Technical Lead pressing the media about the outbreak asserted that the outbreak could be stopped with right strategies in the right groups. He further underscored utmost co-operation amonsgt the countries to fight the diesease collectively.
“WHO is still working towards determining a global coordination mechanism. At the moment, it’s something that’s still in discussion,” Lewis said.
On Saturday, the WHO chief had titled the outbreak a global health emergency- indicative of highest alert. Tedros clearing the air if the virus was prevalent only in men having sex with same gender said- “For the moment, this is an outbreak that’s concentrated among men who have sex with men, especially those with multiple sexual partners. That means, this is an outbreak that can be stopped with the right strategies in the right groups.” As per a research published in the New England Journal of Medicine last week, a batch of 528 confirmed cases of Monkeypox were studied which stated that 95 per cent of the cases were transmitted through sexual activity and 98 percent amongst them were bisexual men.
WHOs Public Health Emergency of International Concern- is a designation to dieases that demand urgent and constant international response and unlock funding to collaborate on sharing vaccines and treatments.