Student Dies, 55 Others Fall Ill After Drinking Contaminated Water

Story Highlights
  • 1 dead and 55 others fall ill in Women's hostel Durg.
  • CMHO Dr JP Meshram and team identify lapse in sanitation.
  • 51 students undergoing treatment, 4 discharged

Durg, CG: A 19-year-old student dies and 55 others have fallen ill after consuming contaminated drinking water at a women’s hostel of a private college in Durg district. The female nurse had fallen ill and passed away on Sunday after she had gone to her home town on Saturday.

The incident was reported to the DHO when a large number of students from Ved Women’s Hostel were admitted to a private hospital in Bhilai. “Thirty-nine students from the women’s hostel of a college located in Nehru Nagar area were admitted to the hospital between July 30 and August 1 after they complained of vomiting and dysentery,” officials said.

A probe has been ordered under the district chief medical and health officer (CMHO) to look into the matter, including alleged negligence on part of the college.

An FIR has been lodged under section 304A ( (causing death by negligence) of the Indian Penal Code.

A team of officials, led by CMHO Dr JP Meshram, carried out an inspection of the hostel on Tuesday. Samples of the water purifier and water coolers were sent for examination by the district administration.

“The water purifier and coolers were not functioning properly and the students were drinking water from it. The contaminated water from the machines could be the cause behind the illness,” a senior official said.

Related Articles

Back to top button